Sex addiction is in the news, with high profile celebrities being treated for their compulsive and problematic sexual behaviour. There is controversy over whether or not it even exists as a condition in its own right, or whether it is an excuse for promiscuous behaviour.
More and more individuals are seeking professional help to understand their relationship with and attitude to sex, which, for them, is out of control and difficult to manage.
So how can we define sex addiction? It is any sexual activity that someone uses to manage or modulate their emotions, or something that feels out of control. The consequences of the sexual behaviours may be harmful but the individual is not able to manage of modify their actions.
When might help be needed?
- If your behaviour is impacting negatively on your life
- If you have tried to stop your behaviour but you can’t
- If the images or activities you need to feel satiated are becoming more extreme or dangerous
- If your behaviour is becoming secretive or impacting on other relationships in your life
- If your behaviour prevents you doing other things you want to do, like spend time with your family or friends
- If you engage in sexual behaviours that you feel are risky or harmful as a means of controlling your emotions or mood
Sexual addiction can be seen as having its origins in our earliest experiences of life and relationships. There is evidence that our early attachment experiences or traumas that we may have endured can also impact on and contribute to sexually addictive behaviour. Counselling can help explore all of these issues, and what might be behind the addiction behaviours, and can play an important role in a treatment programme. There is professional, therapeutic help out there and asking for help is often the first step towards recovery.
Other helpful resources : www.sexaddictionhelp.co.uk & www.atsac.co.uk
Fees for 2016/17
Initial assessment - £35
Face to Face individual counselling - £45
Telephone counselling - £35
Concessions - £35
Sessions can be booked within business hours, as well as selected evenings and Saturday appointments. All sessions last for 50 minutes.
If you need to cancel an appointment, 24 hours notice is required. If you are unable to provide this notice then the session will be charged in full.